April 4, 2013

The Walking Dead S3 Is Now Over...

 

I have very mixed feelings about the Season 3 finale of The Walking Dead. On the one hand, I am glad that Andrea's storyline is done (not glad that she's dead, mind you!), because who she does and doesn't sleep with, and her need to be the leader of the gun brigade in every situation, has never really interested me. However, I did see her as integral to the safety of the main group, and an overall part of the glue that binds them all together. After all, she was there from the get-go. She lost her sister, Amy, in Season 1 and she fought through all that wanna-make-suicide crap in Season 2 (*wiping away a tiny tear with Dale's name on it*).


Only to be bitten (weirdly in the same place that Amy was bitten) and killed?! And have to commit suicide anyway!! Because she pulled the trigger on herself, remember? She said, "I want to do it." So, maybe it was like she finally got her wish. She was able to do the suicide thing, but this time she did it after she had accomplished some stuff. So, it's slightly less pitiful. But it still sucks!


I'm not saying she and Michonne were lesbians or anything, but I do believe that there was a deep love there between them. A serious bond that comes from survival, and from Michonne taking care of Andrea all through that winter when she had pneumonia, or whatever that was. When the two of them separated, when Andrea didn't listen to Michonne and stayed in Woodbury while Michonne marched out, it kind of broke my heart a little bit. So, at least they were together at the end...


So, now I have to ruminate over who else we lost this season...

Lessee... There was T-Dog, Laurie, Hershel's foot, Milton, Axel, Oscar, and I do count Penny among the dead, just because the Governor thought of her as living, and now uses her zombie death as an even greater impetus to do harm.

And, ohmygawd, Merle! I've been screaming since day one at whomever was near him on screen to, "Shoot him! Shoot him!!" But now I'll admit that part of me was really bummed to see him go, just because he such a ginormous asshole, he brings a great tension to the screen. And I kind of thought that, at some point, he would redeem himself (which I suppose he kind of did...) and integrate into the group the way Daryl did. Ya know? Plus, like every American woman who watches the show, I *love* Daryl, and I hate to see him all broken up about his bro. I'm just really glad Daryl didn't shut down and detach himself from the group like he did after the Sophia debacle. Poor guy.


And let's not forget about the gruesome death of young Carl's innocence! He has truly turned into the most badass killer in the group. His heartless and cold-blooded slaying of the little teenage turd who was trying to hand over his gun was pretty brutal. But, in a weird way, I understand why he did it. I'm not saying it was right. I'm just saying, "I understand."


Well, now that I don't have cable, I no longer have Game of Thrones to fill the void left behind by the absence of The Walking Dead. What am I going to dooooooooooo????????

And, hey, I've got to put a little word out to the writers about one last thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment